Tuesday, October 23, 2007

KFC Cake

As promised, here is the cake recipe. I only took this picture after I tasted it, because, to be perfectly honest, I didn't think it was going to turn out to be very good!




Rachel was coming over for supper, and Mommy thought we should have a dessert. All we had was one yellow cake mix, a can of pineapple, and a can of mandarin oranges.

I dont know if you have ever seen the book by Anne Byrn, called The Cake Mix Doctor, but it is a treasure. Check out her blog, HERE.

I spent a little time in the index looking for recipes that use a yellow cake mix. This one, called Finger Lickin' Good Cake, did not contain ANY
KFC, but it did use the yellow cake mix, the pineapple, and the oranges!

This cake is super moist and delicious.
CAKE
1 Plain Yellow Cake mix
1 Can (11 ounces) Mandarin Oranges (undrained)
1 Stick of Butter, melted
1/4 Cup Oil
4 Large Eggs

TOPPING
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Juice from one 8 ounce can of Pineapples

Mix all CAKE ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Blend for one minute on low to combine.
Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Blend an additional 2-3 minutes on medium until well blended. The oranges should be broken up into the batter.

Pour into a greased and floured cake pan and bake at 350 for about an hour.
Cool for 10 minutes, and then turn the cake onto a plate.

Combine the sugar, almond extract, and pineapple juice in a small sauce pan.
Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat.
Cook until thickened, slightly.
Cool completely.

With a skewer or toothpick, poke holes all over the cake.
Drizzle the topping over the cake slowly to allow it to seep into the holes.
That's it. You could, I suppose, use crushed pineapple, and mix it with the topping. We decided, however, to eat the pineapple while the cake was cooking!


We had exams this week and I made a 90 on my English exam!

Now, I want to talk to you today about tacky Halloween décor. Yes, Halloween decorations!
As I rode with my brother Sunday night to take Rachel home, we rode by a house that had a Christmas tree in the window! Also, right across the street from Rachel’s house were orange lights strung over a bush!
Please, dont be like these tacky people, but if you already are please send pictures!!!

I would also like to tell you that during the Christmas season, we (as in Daddy and me) plan to take pictures of the tackiest Christmas decoration houses.
You will have an opportunity to choose one everyday as the tackiest house in town!
Homes that are still decorated from last year will still be qualified since leaving the decorations up for extended periods count extra in tacky points!!!


Yesterday, Amanda came home and had to tell us all about poopie in her classroom. That's right, I said POOPIE!!! The story went on forever, so Daddy asked her to write it down. She did, and we have it ready to publish on tomorrow's blog!
I'd publish it today, but that would ruin the anticipation, and I've already run long today!



2 comments:

Laura Lee said...

Well, Hon, I see you're making up for lost time!

Congrats on your English exam grade.

The cake looks yummy...gonna try that.

And I can't wait to vote on the tacky Christmas decorations. That's gonna be a hoot.

Kinda reminds me of my daddy and me...back when I was in high school. Each Sunday morning, he'd comb through the wedding announcements and circle the couple that was, uh, let's just say....less than photogenic. He'd wait to see if I concurred or not. For some reason, your plan to vote on tacky decorations brought back that funny memory.

I'm waiting with anticipation to read Amanda's story tomorrow.

Alyssa said...

Glad to hear that you want to hear about the "Poopie" story tomorrow. THE CAKE IS AWESOME!!! I also can't wait for the tacky Christmas decoration contest! Have a great day!!!
The (REAL) Hon