Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nyam de Yams

"Mus tek cyear a de root fa heal de tree." -- Gullah proverb

I have been after Daddy for weeks to get us the stuff we need to make a Sweet Potato Pie.
Last night he obliged, so what follows is Hon's Sweet Potato Pie.

I wanted something simple, so I used the recipe on the side of the can.

All you need is:
1 29 oz can of Bruce's Sweet potato Pie Filling
We ONLY use Bruce's since it's a real Southron company, and the product is of the highest quality. They say they only use the most tender part of the potato, called the 'sweetheart'. It's already the perfect consistency, colour, and no strings or lumps.
2 Large Eggs
2/3 cup Evaporated Milk
1 Deep-Dish Frozen Pie Shell


I'm not a nutritional anthropologist, but I figure that since sweet potatoes were such an integral part of the Gullah diet, that this pie must have some connection to that culture. Therefore, we thought it only fitting that we keep a copy of the Gullah New Testament, De Nyew Testament by our side.
Pray like dis yah, say, 'We Fada wa dey een heaben, leh ebrybody hona ya name. We pray dat soon ya gwine rule oba da wol. Wasoneba ting ya wahn, leh um be so een dis wol same like dey in heaben. Gii we de food wa we need dis day ya an ebry day.'
De Good Nyews Bout Jedus Christ Wa Matthew write 6:9-11

Put all the ingredients into the mixing bowl, and stir it all up real good.


Now pour it all into the pie shell.


Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the fire to 350 and rock on for another 50 minutes.
When all is said and done, it should look like this.


If you have a piece of fine Minton china in the Jasmine pattern, you can use it here.

This pie has a true sweet potato texture and flavour. If you're more inclined for the more custardy texture, you may need to add some more egg and milk. Let me know, Daddy has a recipe with buttermilk that'll suit you just fine!

Enjoy!
~Hon!

As requested...
Sweet Potato Pie II

  • 1 deep dish, unbaked pie crust
  • 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon and Nutmeg (if desired)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together potatoes, butter, and eggs.
  3. In another bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and salt.
  4. Add spices.
  5. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well.
  6. Mix together buttermilk and baking soda. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well.
  7. Mix in vanilla extract.
  8. Pour filling into pastry shell.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 70 minutes, until set in centre.

It WILL rise up so dont fill the shell too full, and make sure you place a cookie sheet underneath!


This recipe is from my Spices of the World Cookbook, a paperback, which was a give-away with Corning ranges back in the early seventies. My Dad was a Corning dealer, and brought several home. It is, by far, my most used cookbook. Other than my 'show-off' cookbooks, it is the only one on the kitchen counter all the time!

Enjoy!
~Hon's Daddy!

3 comments:

Hon's Daddy said...

Hon,
You should have explained the Gullah proverb. Literally it means you have to take care of the root in order to heal the tree. However, we know it has a spiritual meaning.
You have to take care of the heart (root), before you can heal the body (tree).

Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

Laura Lee said...

I'm so glad the instructions aren't in Gullah!

I need the buttermilk version. I have buttermilk out the wazoo, thanks to Rose the cow!

I've never made sweet potato pie. not sure I've ever actually tasted it, either. I love pumpkin, so I assume it is similar. I'm lovin' me some sweet potato souffle, though.

Hon's Daddy said...

I'm no linguist, however, I think I can translate the instructions to Gullah, if you're interested!

We swore off pumpkin years ago. There is simply no comparison!
Sweet Potato is SOOOO much better!
I'll post the more involved recipe that uses buttermilk for you.