Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Precious Gift

** Warning … Proud Dad Post Follows **


Have you ever seen the movie “The Polar Express”? You know the part where Santa picks one child out of all those there to come up on his sleigh with him to receive one special gift? Can you imagine how special that child feels; to be the ONLY ONE among all the children to be singled out for that special honour? That kid is me. Of all the people on the planet, God chose me, and only me (well, Lori, too) to receive a gift so special, that only those who have ever received one like it can really know just how special it is!

It was four years ago today, and that special gift was brought to us, and said, "Hello Mommy. Hello Daddy". Her name was Xin Zhi Dan, and she was a little more than three years old. Those were the only words we would hear her say until we got home!



So this is Forever Family day. Not quite a birthday, but not unlike one, either. The following is Lori’s journal entry from the day we knew she was ours.

2003-04-30
A special friend from the CWA China family made a plea for Special Needs Child #6. She said that this little girl was on her heart and that somebody needed to bring her home!

Carol Nelson, a CWA adoption counselor, asked folks to make the next 24 hours a time of special prayer for Xin Zhi Dan #6, that her Forever Family would find her. I looked at Xin Zhi Dan. She was precious. There must be somebody out there to adopt her!

So I prayed for her..... Later on in the day, I felt like my heart had been pierced. I couldn't explain it. I felt like the Lord was telling me that Xin Zhi Dan was MY daughter! I could not stop thinking about her or looking at her sweet face. I had to tell Roy..... When I confronted Roy with my thoughts and feelings, we talked about it. Xin Zhi Dan was 3 years old and Roy really felt like we should be waiting for an infant. So, we let it rest.

Over the next week or so, I was still struggling. I thought of Xin Zhi Dan almost every waking moment. I still kept praying for her. I prayed desperately to God to reveal to Roy and I if SHE was our daughter. I prayed all day long, and I asked the Lord to send me a sign. (I'm big on signs!)

I decided that I would not mention Xin Zhi Dan to Roy again. If it was meant to be, I wanted Roy to bring it up. Well, late in the evening, there was no mention of Xin Zhi Dan. So I thought, OK God, you have given me the answer. Xin Zhi Dan belongs to another family. I would have to put that to rest. That very moment, Roy walked up and picked up my Bible. He never picks up my Bible! He has his own Bible. In the back of the Bible, I had a picture of Xin Zhi Dan. I had been praying for her. He did not know that. My eyes were amazed watching God at work! I knew what was going to happen. He opened to the back of my Bible and pulled out a picture of Xin Zhi Dan.

"Why is this in here?" Well, I was just sitting across from him crying. I told him about what I had prayed for. So we both started praying for God to show us what to do. We talked with a couple of friends who also lifted us and Xin Zhi Dan up in prayer.

And God answered.....


Thank you, God, for this precious gift!

~Hon's Daddy!

1 comment:

Laura Lee said...

Choking back the tears as I read this. You told me this story in China and I've never forgotten it.

When we see these children now, it is hard to believe we ever questioned whether they were ours, huh? They fit so beautifully into our families because they were always meant to be with us!

Congratulations on your special day!